Saturday 23 July 2011

Leg Cramps, Ducati's, Messy Eater

That title sounds bad.  Oh well,  this is the story of "Dave"

He couldn't find parking, (not another one), I live in a really populated part of Vancouver, where tourists and suburbanites frequent on hot days. There is valet parking ($7 for the day) I had a spot in the back of my building that was a freebie.  I reluctantly told him my address and to meet me in the back.   He pulled up in his beat up pathfinder, we exchanged "hello's" Dave said, "oh you look like your pictures - good".

We went to a little hotel patio, for a drink and some lunch.  We found a table, (in the shade), we ordered our drinks, and looked at the menu.  As Vancouverites know, Stanley Park is full of bikes on a hot day, Harley's, Ducati's, street bikes, scooters, all of 'em.  Dave had a particular liking to Ducati's, so much so that every time one passed by he stopped talking.  We had lots of stops and starts to our conversation.

Lunch was ordered, the shade was getting chilly, so we decided to move tables.  The server was great, she quickly changed over the table was wiping it down, when Dave got a little upset, she was wiping and some of the crumbs landed on his jeans - he told her.  Me being in the service industry, tried to smooth it over with the waitress, "sorry, thank you so much".  Our food arrived, my sandwich and his burger.  Dave dug in!  When I looked over at him, he had mustard and ketchup running down his hands, he was licking it off of himself.  I put my head down, and tried to ignore, the disgusting show of manners before me.

Once the burger was almost destroyed, he started fidgeting, and straightening his leg, kind of looking like a spaz.  He said to me "Leg Cramp!!"  He stood up and stretched up against the wall, (his back to me),  I calmly replied, "do what you need to do, maybe walk it off?" I kept on eating my lunch. Dave came back a few minutes later, asked how my sandwich was, and asked to "have a bite?"  Awkwardly, I passed him the untouched part of my sandwich, he took the biggest bite, pretty much a 1/3 of the second half.  More Ducati's, more pauses in conversation.

The bill came, I paid for my own of course.  He had some cash and put his money down, the amount left for the waitress with his cash was about $2 our bill was about $35.  I quickly pulled out $6 for the server, he said to me, "wow, that's alot, she's just waitress"  I replied to Dave "clearly you've never worked in customer service before"  This date was sooo over.  Walking back to the car he said to me " I feel like a bit of a..... Ducati went by, pause,  spaz today"

Once we were at his car I promptly said with a friendly slap to the arm "nice meeting you"

No comments:

Post a Comment