Tuesday 19 July 2011

The 8 minute date

Yes, it was an 8 minute date.

This gentleman, lets call him "Darren", owns a renovation company here in Vancouver.  We met online and chatted very briefly through emails, before we moved to the phone.  He was somewhat new to the computer as everything he WROTE WAS IN CAPS!  I thought it was best to see what Darren had to say on the phone as, the computer wasn't his forte.  He was in his early 40's, his pictures looked good.

Let me just state, that voices - to me-  really say alot about a person, Darren sounded a bit rough, educated, alpha - which I like.  We chatted about random things, to online dating, to past relationships, family etc.  So far seemed ok.  Then it switched gears after a few calls, he started asking what I wore to bed?  How much sex is healthy in a relationship to me, if I was into anything kinky?  These are the kind of things, that on the phone and in person make me uncomfortable.  I'm not a prude, but intimacy is intimacy.  Call me crazy, but I don't like to discuss intimacy until I see the person in real life.  During one of these phone calls, he told me he was naked, lying in bed....ummm.... really uncomfortable now. I suspected that there was other activity happening while he talked to me, there were alot of pauses, alot deep breathing.   I quickly ended the call.

The next call, was plans for a date, I had my reservations but I decided to meet him against my gut feeling.  It was Tuesday winter night, very quiet in the west end.  I finished work by 6pm, we had arranged to meet for dinner down the street.  I got a call at 6pm, running late, should be done by 7:30pm. Another call, closer to 8pm. Another call 9:30pm.  I stated in the last call, that if it was any later, I'd rather just stay home and put on my pj's and do it another night.

Around 9:30 Darren called, he was on his way downtown.  He needed me to find him parking, I explained that at 9:30pm there will be alot of parking.  He called again, saying he'd found parking and was I on my way yet? I said no, I was waiting to hear from him after he found parking.  He told me "get off your ass and get down here".  This is when I should've stayed home, but no, I went down to the corner to meet him.  I called my friend Kim, for support during the 2 minute walk.  I remember saying "oh shit, he's older, he's heavy and he looks bad"  I quickly hung up the phone.

We said hello, we went to one restaurant, "kitchen was closed".  Went to the next one "kitchen closed and last call" by this time it was 10pm.  As we were walking down the steps, I hear Darren say "I'd rather be at home in pj's right now".   I was shocked and stunned and immediately, pissed off.  I had a split second, and decided that was it.  I looked at Darren and said, "I'm not feeling this, I'm going home". I turned and walked away, going through alley's and back streets in case I was followed.  I called Kim, she was home and understandably confused, as we had just hung up.  She stayed on the phone with me, until I got home and was safely tucked away.  Darren proceeded to call me about 4 times, yelling and screaming at me, telling me, that I was crazy and that he was going to tell all his friends about me.  Needless to say, I wanted him too!

No comments:

Post a Comment